The fashion world is constantly evolving, but there are some styles that never truly go out of fashion. The drop waist trend is one such style, which originated in the 1920s flapper era and has recently made a comeback in modern fashion. In this post, we'll explore the history of the drop waist trend, how to wear it, who can wear it, and where to buy it.
History of the Drop Waist Trend
The drop waist trend originated in the 1920s as part of the flapper style. The flapper dress was characterized by a straight, loose silhouette that fell from the shoulders to the knees, with a waistline that fell below the natural waist. The style was a radical departure from the corseted styles of the previous era, and it allowed women more freedom of movement and expression.
Over the years, the drop waist trend has evolved and been incorporated into various fashion styles. Today, you can find drop waist dresses, tops, and even pants. The trend has been seen on runways and in street style, proving that it has staying power in the fashion world.
How to Wear the Drop Waist Trend
One of the great things about the drop waist trend is its versatility. You can dress it up for a formal occasion or dress it down for a casual day out. Here are some tips on how to wear the drop waist trend:
- Dress up a drop waist dress with heels: Pair a drop waist dress with a pair of heels to dress it up for a special occasion. Choose a pair of strappy sandals for a summery look, or opt for classic pumps for a more sophisticated vibe.
- Layer with a jacket: A tailored jacket can help balance the proportions of a loose-fitting drop-waist dress. Try a cropped denim jacket or a fitted blazer to add structure to your outfit.
- Accessorize with a belt: Adding a belt to a drop waist dress or top can define your waistline and create a more flattering silhouette. Choose a slim belt in a complementary color to your outfit, or opt for a statement belt for a bold look.
- Wear with ankle boots: Ankle boots can be a stylish and comfortable way to dress down a drop waist dress. Try pairing a flowy dress with ankle boots and a denim jacket for a casual and chic look.
- Go for a monochromatic look: Create a sleek and modern look by pairing a drop waist dress with accessories in the same color family. Choose shoes and a bag in the same shade as your dress for a cohesive and sophisticated outfit.
Who Can Wear the Drop Waist Trend
The drop waist trend can work for many different body types and shapes. If you have a straight or boyish figure, the drop waist can create curves and add shape to your body. If you have an hourglass figure, the drop waist can accentuate your curves and create a flattering silhouette. If you have a pear-shaped figure, you can opt for a drop waist top or dress with a more fitted top to balance out your proportions.
Where to Buy Drop Waist Clothing
If you're looking to add some drop waist clothing to your wardrobe, there are many options available. Online retailers like ASOS and Nordstrom offer a variety of drop waist dresses and tops, while vintage stores can be a great source for authentic 1920s-inspired pieces. When shopping for drop waist clothing, pay attention to the fit and quality of the garment to ensure that it flatters your body and lasts for many wears.
The drop waist trend is a timeless style that has made a comeback in modern fashion. Whether you're dressing up for a special occasion or running errands on the weekend, the drop waist trend can add a touch of vintage charm to your wardrobe. With its versatility and adaptability to different body types, it's a trend that anyone can try and make their own.
By following these tips on how to wear the drop waist trend and where to buy it, you can incorporate this classic style into your fashion choices and feel confident and stylish wherever you go. So why not embrace the drop waist trend and bring back the roaring twenties in your own unique way?